
While these street kids above may look cute, do not underestimate them. While we were visiting Cox's Bazar yesterday, I had an unfortunate encounter with some of them.
After eating at a very nice Bengali restaurant, we were waiting out front for the rest of the group to finish using the restroom. Being the only white people on the street, we obviously drew a lot of attention. In particular, there was a small group of street kids (not the ones pictured above). They obviously saw dollar signs in front of their eyes because they promptly ran to us, begging for money. Now it is never a good idea to comply with these kids' requests. This is primarily because they generally have a handler, and whatever you end up giving them does not actually stay with the kids. You may remember this if you saw Slum Dog Millionaire.
Instead of giving these kids some taka (Bengali currency), I decided it would be nice to buy them some ice cream. So, I went in the store and bought three ice cream bars. I came out with the ice cream and held them out for the three kids to take one each. Unfortunately, the biggest kid grabbed two of the ice cream bars and ran off, leaving the smallest with nothing. At that point, however, it was time to go, and there was nothing I could do. I literally had to sit in the van as we pulled out and watch the kid cry. I cannot tell you how angry I was.
Of course I was angry at the kid for stealing the ice cream, but I was more angry at myself. I was angry at the fact that I sat there like a victim and did nothing to correct the situation. Chasing the kid down to get the ice cream back would not have been a good idea. I am sure the handlers would not have liked that. And yet, I wanted badly to break into pursuit because it seemed like it would have been the right thing to do. Anyhow, I hope this can serve as a small reminder for me to remember the scriptures that say to learn to do good, seek justice, correct oppression, bring justice to the fatherless, and plead the widow's cause.

No comments:
Post a Comment