Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do no harm.


This girl has an interesting condition known as Congenital pseudarthrosis. She was born with a fractured right tibia that progressed to a non-union (ie, did not heal). Unfortunately, the hospital here was not the first to see her. She received "treatment" at a government hospital and had a surgery that left her worse than before. She has never walked and might need an amputation so she can have that chance. I'm praying that with the right treatment and God's healing, her leg can be saved.

The healthcare system here is socialized, and it does not work. There are plenty of interesting stories about the corruption and inefficiencies with this particular system, but I'll save those for another time. I'm unsure of the solution to our own healthcare problems, but I am thankful for what we have.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

She is lovely. I hope you get her fixed, it is breaking my heart.