Monday, February 15, 2010

The Bengali Baywatch, and more...

Here are a few more shots from our trip to the Ramu tea garden and Cox's Bazar.


The Bengali Baywatch! It's true, even in Bangladesh, lifeguards are available to rescue swimmers. I wonder if they wear bathing suits under those orange jumpsuits. I can't imagine the jumpsuits are very aqua-dynamic. No Pamela Andersons on this beach.


A carving from the Buddist temple we visited. The inscription reads: "For a good time, call Jenny 867-5309." Just kidding.


Mimi on the beach. Her real name is Naomi, but her brother, Silas, could only call her Mimi when he was little. Silas is pictured in the previous Cox's Bazar post in the orange t-shirt on the beach.

Conversely, Mimi calls Silas the nickname Ready. When she was little, she would hear her mom ask Silas, "Are you ready?" to which he would reply, "yes." So in her mind, it made perfect sense that his actual name was Ready. Some days, Silas really likes this nickname. Other days, he says, "My name is not Ready, my name is Silas. Ready is my nickname."


A Bengali mother and her son.


This one is for Sol. Look Sol, even in Bangladesh, Exxon Mobil has a footprint!!


Bengali Coca-Cola. It tastes very different from US Coke. Maybe because it is made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.


In Bangladesh, many people use their heads as an additional way to transport items.


Not everyone smiles for Dane's camera.

2 comments:

Andrea and Andre said...

I also have used my head as a means of transporting stuff. In my case it was a heavy box up into the attic. It actually worked remarkably well...until I got INTO the attic. Then instead of lifting it off my head, I could only tip forward and let it fall. Hope there wasn't anything breakable in that one!
Miss you guys!

Sol said...

Daddy got to get paid!!!!!!!!!!