Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The dreaded first day of class!

Well, here I am. Sitting in class. And what else could I be doing but updating my blog? Obviously there's not much worth listening to at the moment, seeing as how every class is simply talking about the class, and nothing important. Hence, here I am.

So, being back is odd. I am definitely feeling the "end of the summer" blues. My time in Texas at the Summer Medical Institute was precious, and there is so much to reflect on. I want to give a nice summary about it, which I will try to do next time.

Right after we returned from Texas, we spent the next week sailing in the Chesapeake Bay with Megan's Parent's. We had a great time. However, I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but August is HOT! Man it is hot. We spent the first three days on the boat with no wind, sweating profusely as we slowly motored from one side of the bay to the other.

The worst part about it though, were these horse flies that for some reason found us in the middle of the bay, miles away from any land. I honestly could not understand it. We would be completely bug-free in the harbor, but as soon as we got out into the open bay, the horse flies invariably found us, and would relentlessly begin to annoy and bite. I finally found out that my flip-flop served as a formidable weapon against the enemy. I kind of viewed it as an epic battle, like the siege in the second Lord of the Rings, where you would kill tons of orcs, but they just kept coming. Every time I whacked a few, three more found their way onto the boat. I think my kill count was atleast up to 200 for the week.

Finally, in the last couple days, the wind started to pick up and the weather cooled somewhat and we actually had some amazing sailing conditions. The wind also managed to keep the flies away mostly which added to the fun factor. So all in all the end of the week totally redeemed the first half and we had an awesome time. Ill try to link some pics soon. Take care.

No comments: