
Suffering is vital to the Christian Life. Christ suffered and died a brutal death on the cross. Likewise, his spirit-filled apostles experienced true life as suffering servants.
We are called to be Christ-like. Christian means "little Christ", right? Jesus has called us to deny ourselves, and to daily take up our cross. The cross that we take up, is no small thing. It is the mark of shame, rejection, and suffering which we are to take part in.
So why is this seemingly non-existent in the American Church?
I mean, come on, we are in a way, little panty-waists when it comes to true suffering. We count an ugly look, or an argument with a non-christian as our brand of modern suffering, but we have no idea. I know so very little of Jesus, and what He is really like, because I do not know how to suffer. And in all honesty, I'm scared at what that might truly mean for me.
I want to know the joy of suffering. Yes, I said it. Joy.
Now, that is crazy. How can you have joy in suffering? In all honesty, I am not exactly sure, but I think its a little like this: As Christians, Christ is the center focal point of all our energies. In Him should be found our true Joy, because it is in Him and through him that true eternal joy exists. Therefore, to experience full joy is to know Jesus better, and therefore to be more like him. So, paradoxically, as we suffer we know Jesus better, and our joy is increased. And the suffering is the kind that truly costs something, not necesarilly your life, but that which demands complete denial of self and abandonment of all for the sake of Christ's magnification.
Anyhow, that's heavy stuff. I'll try and be lighter next time. Take care!

No comments:
Post a Comment