Friday, May 19, 2006

This rocks!

You know, I realize everyone, whether the admit it or not is an evangelist. Everyone has something they love, something that rocks their world. When that happens, you can't help but tell people about it. If it "gets" you, then surely it will "get" everyone else.
I get this way about bands I think rock out. If I think that the band rocks, then I have to make sure everyone knows. Have you ever heard of Dispatch? Ever heard of Mute Math? They frickin rock, you should really check them out. Here, come with me and listen.
Why then, when it comes to evangelism, is it so frickin' hard to tell folks about Jesus. I mean come on, He is absolutely fantastic, or so I try to believe. But I just don't beleive enough I guess, or I'm guilty, or ashamed. Something like that. Why is it so hard for me to tell people that Jesus frickin rocks out. Becuase He does.

---------------

Do you ever get that evangelism itch?

I know I do. I feel like I haven't shared my faith in a long while, and I get all guilty inside and ask for forgiveness. Then almost immediately a "target" comes to mind. And by "target" I mean person, friend, whatever. Anyhow, this "target" is someone in your life that doesn't know Jesus, and your friends with them, but have waited until you've gotten real guilty until you share your faith with him. And then, once you do, or atleast once you've thought about it long enough to make yourself feel better for another month, there is relief. I can now go back into my tiny little christian world and feel happy and bother nobody.

This whole itch thing really bothers me. It bothers me because in the end, I share my faith (if this actually happens) not because I care about the person, or because I love Jesus and think He rocks out, but more because I feel pressure to assuage my selfish feeling of dischord with God's command. In other words, its all about me. Its about making myself feel better. It is a small wonder that God can still use me for His glory from time to time.

With that said, I've got some confession to do. If anyone is reading this, pray for me. Pray that my faith be authentic. Pray that I walk in faith and obedience to God's word because God frickin rocks, not because of my selfish desire to "feel good".

No comments: