Thursday, February 01, 2007

Waiting on the world to change?

I've been long absent from the realm of blogging, and I fear that it might be longer still until I can do it justice. Nonetheless, I am in the middle of studying anti-microbials, and I could not resist procrastinating, so I thought to my self, "Self, why not blog instead, which is what I'm doing."

Anyhow, I was just listening to one of the most lyrically lame songs of all time which got me to come here and write something in response to these ridiculous lyrics. "Waiting on the World to Change", by John Mayer, while sounding pretty, conveys a terrible message. I pray to God this is not an accurate reflection of our generation, but I fear its all too true.

Why should we sit on our asses waiting for the world to change Mr. Mayer? Don't you think that the whole waiting thing is part of the problem? I think by saying the word "world" you really mean "people". So people need to change. Why don't you start with yourself? Actually, how about we all start with ourselves, and not wait, but change, allowing ourselves to be redeemed (not that we can do that on our own, but you get my drift<-- nice reformed disclaimer huh?)

The truth of the matter, is that the world doesn't seem to change. If you don't believe me, read Augustine's confessions. It is stunning how a man who lived 1700 years ago is dealing with the same junk we do. How's that for progress?

HOWEVER, that does not mean we should sit around and wait. There is an opportunity to act. Truly. We can change the world by allowing ourselves to be changed, and in the process impact where we are. We are God's workmanship afterall, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which He prepared in advance for us to do. Let us walk in those works which he created for us to walk in from before we were born. Lets change the world by being renewed from the transforming of our minds.

Thus, in the process of being changed we really can make the world a better place.
........When we start doing things like this........
Love your neighbor.
Confess to others and ask them forgiveness when you've wronged them.
Be humble.
Love your enemies.
........Things happen......

So Mr. Mayer. I'm sorry, but I refuse to listen to the message of your crappy song. I'm not going to wait. I hope you do not either.

No comments: